Welcome AIX attendees- this is a 3 min read
YES – Switching to Spring-Fast® wire protection grommet edging cuts install costs by -at least- 49%.
Why? Spring-Fast is simpler & faster to install without glue & still provides best in class performance.
Current Nylon Grommet is Outdated 1940’s Tech
This is the SOP for your techs using glued nylon MS21266 grommets.
- Preparation: gathering items for application & safety
- Prepping the edge for proper adhesion -abrasion and cleaning]
- Gluing to the edge – as nylon lacks static friction
- Fixture the application with tape – while it cures.
- Clean up with a MEK solvent, cloths – and elbow grease.
- Inspection: disbonding is common & causes rework adding to the cost of poor quality.
- A costly, labor intensive, multi-step process
The Better Choice:
Spring-Fast® NASM22529 installs with finger pressure without glue while providing best in class performance.
Here are the Benefits to You
|1. Superior Edge retention||20g, 3 axis, static load tests showed no impact on retention|
|2. Shock & vibration||Fully tested to mil std 810 - no known failure in 35 years.|
|3. Less weight||Nylon grommets plus the glue weigh 10-17% more than NASM22529/2.|
|4. Longer Life||NASM22529/2 is not moisture or UV sensitive = no embrittlement|
|1. Reduced Cost||Faster no glue installation saves OEMs 49% of total install cost|
|2. Reduced Scrap||Reels reduce scrap (vs strip nylon which has up to a 26% scrap rate)|
|3. Lower than Teflon||DTi unit cost less than Teflon which is 10x to 28x the cost of nylon|
|4. Lower Consumables||No glue, IPA wipes, solvents, fixture tape, gloves, masks or cloths.|
|1. Efficiency||Frees up tech time -higher productivity/backlog reduction.|
|2. Tight spaces||Application/removal/reapplication is easy even in very tight spaces|
|3. Reduced safety issues||No glues, solvents or VOCs requiring ventilation and masks for techs|
|4. Reduced FOD||Minimal FOD footprint- no glue, gloves, cloth, wipes, tape, solvent, masks|
|5. Green/sustainable||No VOC solvents or adhesives, no nylon, no ventilation & a longer PLC.|
Proven Performance on Platforms
NASM22529/2 is qualified as an FAA approved replacement part & has NAVAIR approval per # 01-1A-505-1
- OEM’s: Boeing, Airbus, Lockheed-Martin, Bell, Gulfstream, Robinson, Sikorsky, Spirit
- MRO: CH47, HH-65, HH-60 C17, F18, C130, C5, V22,
- DoD: Navy, Army, Air Force, Marines CG: V280 Velour, CH-47 Chinook, C-17 Globemaster, T38
- Electric Platforms: 5 currently prototyping
A Better Grommet Mousetrap – By Design
- Spring-Fast has a polymer coating on an ultra-thin CRES substrate that snaps on with finger pressure.
- Opposing finger-like castles exert a compression force for retention without glue.
- Proven retention -static load tested to 20G on 3 axes without adhesives.
- Can be hand pre-formed, snapped into place with finger pressure & easily removed & refit.