EV motors are deteriorating faster as manufacturers seek to increase EV efficiency and particularly the performance of traction motors and generators.
The trend is to more power, but increasing power means more heat so designers are looking for ways to transfer the heat out faster to improve efficiency.
DTI’s Krono-Resist HT Series™ magnet wire coating is designed to protect motor windings against this deterioration and improve efficiency, power density and the heat transfer coefficient. Krono-Resist is the type of disruptive technology DTi looks to offer as it provides improved end use benefits to its magnet wire user clients.
Problems with Current Magnet Wire Coatings
There is a trade-off here. Higher heat resistance can be achieved with multiple enamel layers, but mechanically it takes up more space and reduces efficiency.
Krono-Resist is a special formulation of enamel with metal fillers which creates thinner coatings and a higher temp resistance which also yields a higher heat transfer coefficient which in turn gives you a longer motor life.
Benefits of Krono-Resist
- The insulation will withstand a higher operating temperature and will dissipate heat faster than typical magnet wire insulation coatings. It means you can run hotter, longer, with less wire damage risk.
- A more densely packed conductor material in the same space will help make motors more efficient with a higher power density giving longer drive times or possibly reducing the size of the equipment required.
Features That Make This Possible
- Higher heat resistance to 265℃ – best in the industry – increases the motor power density. This coating allows designers to maximize power density or apply magnet wires in new high temperature applications such as variable speed drives.
- The coating will transfer heat much faster than standard magnet wire insulation. You’re basically getting the heat out more easily with a lot less enamel. The heat transfer coefficient is improved. We have heard reports of motors running 10 to 20 degrees colder than normal. It yields 2-3x the thermal conductivity compared to a standard Polyimide enamel.
- It protects against partial discharge and detrimental corona, both long standing problems in this arena.
- Protection against electrical breakdown and short-circuiting.
- The durable PAI coating resists breakage during coil winding.
Advantages of Square or Rectangular Magnet Wire
Winding a motor with round wire – even with a very even wind, the wires only touch each other tangentially. There are gaps/voids of air all around the winding. Those air gaps reduce the wires ability to transfer energy. A rectangular wire is more like a brick wall with far fewer and smaller air gaps which makes it more efficient. This efficiency translates to your being able to go from zero to 60 mph in 2-3 seconds in an EV. Vroom vroom.
EV and HEV Applications (Consumer and Commercial)
Applications that need to perform in high temperatures or require improved power density to minimize size and weight: HEV/EV motors, Automotive, Aviation/Aerospace, Military/Defense, Oil & Gas and Transportation. For example:
- Traction Motor: to provide the high torque needed for drive power at low speeds.
- Regenerative Brakes that convert kinetic energy lost in deceleration into stored battery energy.
- Belt Starter/Generators that replace the alternator and offer quick starts and battery charging options.
Conductor: Copper wire
Shape of Conductor: Round, square or rectangle
Size range: 12–24 AWG Heavy Build (square or rectangular)
To find out more call +1-508-229-2000 or contact us here