Use Case: Marine outboard and inboard motors
Client: A major OEM manufacturer of outboard and inboard marine motors
Solution: Spring-Fast SL Series
- Wiring needed to be protected from abrasion and scuffing.
- The grommet had to be vibration tolerant/corrosion resistant/heat resistant with a UL-94V-0 flame rating
- Operationally very tight engine enclosures made glued in grommets difficult to apply/reapply.
- Many of the edges that had to be protected were extremely small <1” in length
- Nylon or PE grommets with glue or PSA failed in normal operations testing – leading to lower quality & re-work
- Thermoplastic nylon or polyethylene had a tendency to deform as temperature increased.
SOLUTION: Replace the PE/nylon with Spring-Fast SL series grommet edging
- Fast easy application with simple finger pressure without adhesives provided the needed wire protection.
- They use multiple small (1/2 inch ) pieces in their engine enclosures which performed (gripped) well.
- The TPE encapsulation of the stainless steel substrate is flexible, resists deformation, and protects wiring from damage caused by abrasion.
- Qualified for vibration Mil-Std-810C, Flammability UL94 V0, and Salt spray ASTM B117
- Strong edge retention – tested to aerospace standards to rms G 41.7 for mechanical shock and vibration.
- The OEM also applied Seal-Fast Seal around the cowling to solve water/environmental issues.
Why it works so well
The SL Series has a 300 series stainless steel substrate for excellent retention strength and is fully encapsulated in flexible, lubricious TPE for superior abrasion protection, chemical resistance, and 4-axis flexibility. Its effectiveness is due to its design: the steel core has castles, or gripping teeth, that angle into the metal edge creating a gripping force and powerful edge retention without adhesives.
Find out more about Spring-Fast SL series here
Why not see for your self – request free samples here