Problem: Protecting wiring in cloud-based Autonomous Mobile Robots (AMR) used in material handling and data collection for warehousing and intralogistics environments. Materials handling robots are dense with cameras, lasers, and sensors – in each robot the wiring had to be protected from at least 2 feet of sharp metal edging. The two current methods in place had serious issues (see below).
Client: A leading OEM of Industrial Automation and Robotic solutions for Logistics and Material Handling Applications.
Solution: Spring-Fast ® BT Series Grommet Edging
What Had Been Happening?
Method One: Fiberglass Tape and associated problems
- Tape could not be applied consistently to the edge.
- It was practically very difficult to apply to the robot with all the sensors in place.
- Tape was inconsistently cut: the tape often had to be notch cut in short and intermediate lengths
- Corners were difficult as cutting variability could lead to exposed edges.
- The tape had a tendency to release due to temperature and vibration.
- Frequent rework meant line workers often had to remove the glue with MEK- a powerful solvent.
Method Two: Nylon grommet and associated problems
- Thick edge nylon grommets were hard to apply.
- Applying glue for security was a slow multi-step process.
- They did not grip well across multiple panel thicknesses.
- Small lengths were particularly unstable when applied even with glue.
- PSA grommets, due to embrittlement, tended to fall off over time- leading to lower quality levels.
- Created inconsistent and poor quality product which often had to be reworked.
Spring-Fast BT grommet edging was chosen to protect the wiring because it gave:
- Consistent reliability for improved product quality
- Conformance flexibility without compromising retention
- Easy consistent and fast application despite the sensors being in place
- Fitting to non-straight edges around corners for consistent protection
- Even small pieces gripped consistently
- Resistance to temperature changes, vibration, and shock
- UL94-V0 for flammability
- Solved the problems-abrasion protection, ease of application, and product quality
- Saved ~49% of total installation costs vs. glued in nylon grommets
- Increased the specific task productivity by 9.5x (far faster with fewer steps)
- Best in class grommet edge performance.
Spring-Fast BT Series helped the customer reduce AMR costs, while also improving throughput, efficiency, and productivity.
- Steel substrate encapsulated with fusion bonded nylon for abrasion resistance
- The steel core is designed with castles, or gripping teeth, that angle into the edge creating a gripping force and edge retention without adhesives.
- Tested to aerospace standards for conformance and retention
- No tapes, glues, or PSA that might require HazMat warnings, could degrade and or cause product quality problems.
Find out more about Spring-Fast BT series here
Request Free samples here